Saturday, August 7, 2010

Leisurely Saturday

Today is one of those rare days where I don't have anywhere I need to be. I can slow down and relax. Love that! This morning I woke up naturally, without my alarm clock, and so far I've been taking it easy. I made myself a breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast.





















I like to use 100% whole grain breads. Otherwise the flour is processed and stripped of vitamins and nutrients as well as fiber. I aim for 25-35 grams of fiber each day. It has multiple health benefits, plus it slows digestion and helps me stay full longer. This bread has 4 grams of fiber per slice (although  I noticed added chicory root fiber in the ingredients).




Make sure to check the ingredients when chosing a whole grain product. Whole wheat flour should be the first ingredient! Unfortunately, sometimes labels can be misleading...




I scrambled up 1 whole egg and 1 egg white. I sprayed the pan with some cooking spray and added a sprinkle of sea salt -- just in the mood for simple eggs this morning. A tip for cooking eggs is to keep the heat medium low, cook slowly, and remove from heat when they still appear slightly undercooked. The eggs will finish cooking on your plate and end up perfectly done!




Then I poured myself a tall glass of iced coffee with a few splashes of unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze. Mmmmm. I ♥ iced coffee! I keep some in the fridge at all times.



I like to drink it with a straw!




I didn't end up eating the banana. I think I'll save it for a post-gym snack. I smeared my toast with Brummel & Brown and Cascadian Farm Blueberry Fruit Spread. Yum!




This is my favorite margarine spread! I've been using it for years. It tastes great and has 50 calories, 5 grams fat and 0 grams trans fat per serving (1 tbsp).




This fruit spread is a new product I tried. It is a classic example of why reading the ingredients is so important! I assumed since I bought this in the health food section and it is called "fruit spread" that it would be sweetened with fruit juice instead of added sugars (like used in jams and jellies). At least, this has been my experience in the past...
When I tasted it I found it to be suspiciously super sweet. Upon reading the ingredients, sure enough, the first ingredient was SUGAR. Don't get me wrong, its tasty, but I prefer to save my sugar calories for cookies and ice cream ;).

Next up, I'm off to Zumba class at the gym. Zumba is AWESOME and currently my favorite way to get my cardio on! More about that later.



Question: What is your favorite way to spend a Saturday?

1 comment:

  1. My favorite way to spend a Saturday is NOT working! Being in retail means working weekends, so any time I have the weekend off, it's marvelous. I love to shop, eat, and just veg around the house with my husband.

    ReplyDelete